Wednesday, July 05, 2006

X-Men 3: The Last Stand


Genres: Action/Adventure, Science Fiction/Fantasy and Sequel
Running Time: 1 hr. 43 min.
Release Date: May 26th, 2006
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of action violence, some sexual content and language.
Distributers: 20th Century Fox
Directed by: Brett Ratner

JJ Rating: A

I saw the midnight showing because I really wanted to. I went with several people because I invited them and it is fun to see a movie like this with a lot of people. However, I sat next to my brother’s friend the woMAN who is a man but whines and complains like a woman…if you know what I mean. And my other brother brought friends and one friend brought a friend and he was a comic freak. I know I am and a good one at that, but he was more of a self righteous comic book freak. Things were not right to him so he had to voice such an opinion as if he had authority to dictate such lameness. I did not give it to him so he therefore did not have it. His mistake and I suppose I will forgive him for that.

I sat there and stared at the screen in bewilderment while the credits rolled. I was debating in my head if I liked it or not. This is exactly how it went down when I saw the first two. I debated in my head. It took another viewing to really solidify how I felt. But I was thinking how much I really just wanted more. More movies, more of the X universe that is so enriched with stories and characters that there is no way in hell this is the last one no matter how much they tried to convince everyone with the name and the actor interviews.

I was disappointed in some things such as how much time was allotted to each character. How there were all the original X-Men (comic book wise) in this movie and they did not take the chance to throw one out to the fans with a cool famous comic book stance for them to do. (Original X-Men were Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and Angel…along with, of course, Professor X) I also did not like how some characters were stuck in some sort of retarded repeat button with their moods. Mostly it is the same thing I disliked about the other two and it seems they are having a difficult time fixing that. Maybe I should write the next few.

Okay now to why I liked it. I would like to stress that this is why I liked it not why you should go and see it. Do not read this and think I am asking you or convincing you to see it. This is a movie that can be super hyped up and then promote disappointment in people who see it and go, “Meh that wasn’t as good as JJ stated.” Well remember I am only telling how I liked it and maybe you can gauge how I like things against what you like and go from there. HA so now you cannot blame me if you see it because of my review because I so safeguarded myself. Badaboom!

As always the beginning of X-Men was very interesting and good. I liked it. I believe I would have liked it more if I was not told what it entailed so I will not go into detail on that, but I did like it like I liked the first two X-Men beginnings. There are several one liners that are just funny and one that is special to many because of how it was made famous. I do like how the writers work in the special names of certain characters and their special phrases that each one says. The action scenes were fantastic, very creative and visually astounding. Professor X and Jean Grey’s battle was awesome. Iceman V.S. Pyro was a great battle and will be even more so if they continue with the greatness of X-Men. Mystique has a great action scene and she has some good lines. Wolverine’s own encounter with Jean was great not only because of the visuals but because of the lines, as was Juggernaut’s little tiff with Shadowcat (Kitty). I love how they not only pay attention to the stunning effects but also to the story with great lines. That is what makes all three X-Movies so good. I love the ending as I did with the first two. Also be sure to stay after the credits for something special.

One question many might have about this X-Men movie is, “Is Storm more like Storm?” Yes. I would have to say they improved her and showed how strong she is and that the weather is altered by her emotions. That was a great scene when they showed the emotional control of the weather. It is the part where she talks to Professor X on the balcony.

The storyline raises a good questions about curing something someone has just because they are different than the established norm. Is it done for a just cause or is it done because they fear what is different or not understood? I like the storyline because it actually stems from a real story line in the comic book. I actually really do like the way they merged two storylines together to get the idea for X3. The Dark Phoenix and the cure were never one before so that was highly creative of them to have the two joined together.

The more I sit here and type and think the more I realize I really like this movie just as much as I liked the other two. They each have greatness in them and I am so sure that this is not their last stand. I do love that they played it off that way but everyone who sees it will get why I believe it will live on indefinitely. So maybe they should have called it X-Men: The Last Straw because that is what it seems like. I mean they introduced Trask the God of the Sentinels. You do not just introduce him and end the story. The Last Stand? Ha! It played more like a season cliffhanger than it did as a “the end”.

To be continued……..
in my review of X4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home