Wednesday, July 05, 2006

X-Men

Release Date: July 14, 2000 (nationwide)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sci-fi action violence.
Distributers: 20th Century Fox
Directed by: Bryan Singer

JJ Rating: A

I had been looking forward to an X-Men movie for years. It had been ever since Wizard (A Comic Book Magazine) had put together a fantasy X-Men cast. I really love the X-Men comics and wanted so bad to love the movie(s). So seeing this movie I did not bring with me high expectations because I knew they did not have a lot of money to work with. At the end of the movie I was not even close to being disappointed. I ended up seeing it four times opening weekend. I love it.

I rated this movie in Yahoo Movies an A+ but here I give it an A. I do not give it a + because it lacks one thing that I wish it would have more of. It lacked a bit of that X-Men magic the comics have. X-Men is about being a team and about how the characters are. The movies can alter how the story is told that is fine. I do not like when they take liberties with the characters themselves or the fact that X-Men is a TEAM and then focus on one person. That is my one major problem with the movie it does not have the team feel and the characters are not the same characters in the comic book. They should be because that is important component. They neglected that. But they do not go too far away from that. It is just this cannot be blamed on not having enough money. Them failing in this part is because they were not trying not because the millions were not there to fix it.

At least I am not the one complaining about the costumes being black. People had the audacity to whine that the costumes in the movie did not incorporate the BRIGHT colors of the comic book. That is such a minor change that it is laughable the people think it is important. They are not real comic book fans because they focused on something that was minor and not worthy of caring about.

Apparently over all I love the movie because I gave it an A. I love the beginning. It does not have lines that many people would understand. It has action that people will totally get and in this case the phrase actions speak louder than words is very true, because even though you do not understand what is being said you understand what is going on.

Speaking of lines I love the lines in the movie. I love the debate that occurs between Jean Grey and Senator Kelly. I love the conversation that occurs between Professor X and Magneto. The line that is said (and shared by Professor X in another scene) by Magneto, “Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers” is one of my favorites. The scene at the end shares a similar conversation and that just awesome work down by the writers.

Cyclops has always been my favorite and in the movie it is no different. I love the scenes with him in it because he is just my favorite. The Cyclops and Wolverine scene where they are arguing over Jean is amusing and one of my favorites. The scene where his glasses get stolen is pretty powerful. The fact he has to wear glasses made him an instant hit with me because I had to wear glasses in middle school so to see a hero who had to too, made it better to wear them.

The movie did not have the budget to have an epic X-Men battle but what it did not have in action it makes up in great lines and that is one reason why I really like the movie. I like that there is intelligence put behind it so as to make this comic book come to life and make it seem as if X-Men could be a possible reality. I like that it did not make it corny and unbelievable.

The one character that I had the most issue with is Storm. They make her wimpy and in the comic book she is one of the strongest personalities of all the X-Men. The movie makes her almost child like and not worth having and that is not the case. Storm is one of the most powerful mutants in the world and she knows it. Halle Berry is and was not the problem because she is not a bad actress. The problem lies in the writing of the character. Everyone else is well done. The characters are scripted well. And I might sound as if I am contradicting myself when I stated before about how I think they are not doing them right…but what I am stating is that they did not do as well as the comic books do. The comic books give them great foundations to work with and it seems like they did not really take that into consideration as much as they should have but for the most part they did well.

At the end of the movie Professor X answers Magneto’s question by stating, “I feel a great swell of pity for the fool that comes to the mansion looking for trouble.” That line is the set up for one of the scenes in the second movie and I loved that line and scene before knowing what the premise for X2 would be and after knowing I loved it more.

X-Men is just a great super hero movie that does not try to be over the top with everything not because they did not have the money to flaunt it in special affects but because X-Men never had to since it has always had the great stories and characters to showcase. For the sake of sounding cheesy on purpose I will have to say this movie is X-traordinary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home