Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Over The Hedge

Genres: Comedy, Kids/Family, Animation and Adaptation
Running Time: 1 hr. 30 min.
Release Date: May 19th, 2006 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG for some rudge humor and mild comic action.
Distributers: Paramount Pictures
Directed by: Tim Johnson, Karey Kirkpatrick

JJ Rating: B

How can you go wrong with talking animals? I mean so many animated movies are based on talking animals and their whacky adventures. It is a staple with such children films. This one would be no different than the rest in that respect. The over all message it was trying to present is that family is what you need and that it is better than fending for oneself.

The message is a good message. It is one that children should understand and the way it is presented it is possible that they will. Also there are jokes that adults will get but not adult sounding jokes. It is subject matter that adults would understand. I suppose that is what is added into the movie so that the adults do not get bored with the movie that is catering towards children. It might have worked. I enjoyed the movie but decided I did not enjoy it a whole lot.

What I did enjoy is the characters. I think for the most part they were all entertaining. They had a very conniving raccoon, the cautious turtle, the over dramatic opossum, the attitude giving skunk, the ADD squirrel always ready to eat and the family of porcupines. There were human characters but they had only one dimension to their parts. The one character that I connected with was Hammy the squirrel. I did so because he loved to eat and that is something I just love to do: eat. His one line that just killed me was the line about the cookie and because I am probably going to get it wrong I would like to say sorry in advance….but here it is, “I would want a cookie.” Something like that I believe. Well the one thing I do know the line had in it was cookie so I got that part right.

Hammy was the interesting fun part of the entire movie. He amused me to no end and had one of the best scenes at the end of the movie that I really enjoyed. There are several good scenes in this movie. The skunk had a few with her wit and attitude sharing. The turtle never seemed to stay in his shell long enough. He was always willing to strip it seemed. The opossums had one gag that was a continual thing and it was alright but not the best rout for them. The porcupines just seemed to be there more than actually share in the story. The main animal was the raccoon and he was good and had his best scene at the very beginning of the entire movie.

The reason it is not getting a higher rating than a B is because of the way it presented the moral of the story. The right idea was there to showcase family but there was not the warmth that some animated films have when having “moments”. That was the main thing that was missing from this movie was that warm moment that made you go aww and actually feel that connection with the characters. I would list the animated movies that have that down but I am here to talk about this one, not compare it to others before it.

That is a big thing when dealing with a children movie that you as a family might want to watch together and then talk about the moral it presents afterwards. Not only are you entertaining the children they are also learning something valuable. It would be cool to have one that presented a great theme in a great way so as to have something to discuss with your kids after you view it. This movie sort of has it. It does not have it greatly but it has it alright enough that a parent could build off of what it started.

When my friends and I were out side we were horsing around and this van pulled up and a cop informed us we needed to get off the parking lot. He, in essence, was telling us to stop loitering. It was amusing because my friend said that she thought it was going to be a housewife van not a cop van. We had a good laugh at that. Yes this was unrelated to the movie. Kill me.

I do not know if I would buy this movie. I would see it again if it was on TV or someone rented it because of a few choice scenes that I really enjoyed. If you are thinking about seeing the movie just go in with a low expectation and you will not be disappointed in what you view. They really do not go over the hedge they just go through the hedge (I know what the title really means so do not inform me) which is similar to what they did with this movie. They did not really do anything outstanding they just did the minimal animal animated formula and created a movie that is just there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home