Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Poseidon (2006)

Genres: Action/Adventure and Remake
Release Date: May 12th, 2006 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense prolonged sequences of disaster and peril.
Distributers: Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution
Directed by: Wolfgang Petersen JJ Rating: C-

I have a weird sadistic thing that I do. I like to make my self more scared of something just because it amuses me to no end. I do not like water that is not clear. I do not like the ocean too much and would probably freak out if I found myself off the ship in the ocean floating there. So that is why I decided to see this movie. On that note I also have to point out how I like the parts where they swam under the water holding their breath because I too played along. It was fun. There was this one scene that was the freakiest because there was no way out for anyone and yet the water did not care. It was the only time I was on the edge of my seat going…oh someone might drown. So this movie did help my fear. It made it slightly worse. But I do not mind because that was the point in me seeing it. This would be why I did not give it a lower grade like a D+ or something worse.

What would have made me dislike this movie less is if different people died besides the clichéd group that always does.

Let me start off with the magical plus points about Poseidon. I don’t have many so I want to get them out of the way as quickly as possible. I really liked how they introduced everyone. It was quick and to the point. The rogue wave that knocks the ship into disaster mode happens quickly. That was good because the movie wasted no time to get the action started.

Then the clichéd moments come one after the other. Had it not been for my friend sitting next to me exchanging funny commentary I would have wished to drown in the water that was on the screen. I believe if they recorded what it was we were saying people would have enjoyed the movie ten times more with laughter.

Moment after moment after moment of “Wow I’ve seen this before” scenes until the “Wow I didn’t see that coming” sarcastic ending I sat there asking why? Why does the same kind of people live or why do the same kind of people die in movies like this? For once it would be awesome if certain people died even if it is disturbing and unfair. As Kurt Russell’s character said, “It is not fair who lives and dies.” But this movie certainly centers around being fair based on who was still around at the end. By the way the ship is not one of the ones that gets saved. If you were wondering, that is.

The ending was not good at all. However, the credits rocked. We amused ourselves by the names. I will now end this review on a good note…a guy’s name: Duff Miller. How cool is that? Very. One more time for the sake of awesome: Duff Miller.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home