Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

Genres: Drama, Thriller and Adaptation
Running Time: 149 min.
Release Date: May 19th, 2006 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for disturbing images, violence, some nudity, thematic material, brief drug references and sexual content.
Distributers: Sony Pictures Releasing
Directed by: Ron Howard

JJ Rating: C-

I liked TWO scenes from the movie. TWO. Do you see how long the movie is? Two hours and almost 50 minutes and I liked TWO scenes. That is about 3/4ths a scene an hour. That is in no way a lot and you already can tell why I gave it a C-.

The Da Vinci Code was a book first. The book gets praises sang about it by everyone that reads it. But if there are people like me they did not read it because they did not find the subject matter interesting to begin with. So why did I see it? Well I heard it was horrible and not like the book where you get to learn along with the main character. I did not really have a huge interest in seeing it because of that. But curiosity got the better of me and even though it is almost 3 hours long I thought it had to be interesting since the book was and may be, just may be the majority was way off on saying it was bad.

Unfortunately they were way under when they said it was bad. I would go one step further and say it was terrible. The only reason this grade did not fall to a D+ or below is because of the two interesting scenes. I know I stated that that was not a lot and it is not a lot but it is enough to keep it from being worse than a C-.

I like the beginning when there was talk about symbols but that was such a minor bit compared to when they really talk about symbols while in the mansion. It is a long scene discussing male and female symbols and the Da Vinci painting of the “Last Supper”. It was so interesting that I wish I could just have that bit and watch it again. I am guessing that that was taken right out of the book almost word for word. It was just that awesome. The other scene is the very end. The man and woman have a discussion that was rather clever. That was something that was missing from most conversations in this movie. Then the scene ended with him in the bathroom by himself and then he ended up outside. While outside there were amazing camera angles and the fact that no words were spoken mad it amazing. I cannot say what was shown because that would ruin the movie but it was great. But it was not good enough to make me like the movie. Oh and I found the “apple” rather clever.

The acting was there. There was not anything WOOHOOing about any acting but there was nothing horrible so the acting was good for the movie. I would like to point out that Paul Bettany shows his rear in every movie I have seen him in. I am thinking he has some sort of clause that states he has to show it off. At least it is a rear he should be proud of but really I do not need to see it ever time he decides to do a movie. I hope this is the end of his career of his rear in this show and tell shtick he is stuck in.

I almost feel asleep. The majority of the movie felt like I was being told what was going on. That is what I think made it boring. I do not like being told what is going on. It just felt like I was being told and that I was being dragged around by some sort of boring museum guide. It made me glad that I did not read the book.

I know that the book must be better so I do not need to be informed of that. I do wish that when books are transformed into movies that the director and the writers meet with several people who have read the book and talk to them and ask them what they think should be part of the movie. Ask them how the envision certain parts of the book and how did it make them feel. I am pretty sure that people did not feel dragged around when they read the book. It would be good to feel the same way as the people that love the book after seeing the movie. I just do no get how they can make it so blehing.

This would be one of those movies a classroom would watch and discuss and I am so ecstatic that I do not have to endure such a stupid class. I will not ever see this movie again. If it happens to be on the TV I will see if it is near my two scenes. Otherwise I will be channel surfing right past it in hopes to find the way better movie of the summer X3.

I sat in front of stupid girls that were talking and I had to move because I was not going to listen to one tell the other what was about to happen. I cannot believe she read a book considering how impatient she was with waiting for the part to pass before talking about it. Slut. If I was not so interested in paying attention I would have ruined my own movie viewing experience by turning around and telling her to shut her trap or I will break it. But I was nice and calm and moved dramatically one aisle down.

So what have we learned? We have learned that books that are thrilling with words will not be thrilling as movies because the words are not as entertainingly said as they are read. We also learned that X3 is better based on previews and that it will have me telling little girls to shut it or die. The Da Vinci Code was not thrilling to decode as some had read and if it was…I am beyond glad I did not waste my hours reading when I could waste them waiting in anticipation for X3 the best movie of the summer…period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home