Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mission Impossible III

Genres: Action/Adventure and Sequel
Release Date: May 5th, 2006 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of frenetic violence & menace, disturbing images & some sensuality.
Directed by: J.J. Abrams

JJ Rating: B-

I liked the first. I thought the second one sucked. I believe the third is better than the second one. The main thing I like to say about the movie is that it was long. The other thing is that the coolest stunt was shown in the commercial. It was the one where Tom Cruise gets thrown into a car by an explosion. There was not a wowing script or a twistful ending as they were trying so hard to give. All in all I do have to say it was a disappointment more than a popcorn popper.

The beginning was pretty intense. I did really like it and was hopeful that something would spawn from that and just grow bigger. But it did not, it just sank slowly.

There were three neat scenes. Neat is not near as good as cool, it is closer to mediocre but a bit better. The first I already mentioned. The second one was the bridge scene. That would be the one where the coolest stunt was done. The second one had to do with roof tops and balls. That was just amusing.

The climax was a tad dull. The fight scene at the end was a disappointment. Mainly because I had to wait for a good 2 hours—or so it felt—and it really was not worth it. It appears that creativity had a vacancy when they were brainstorming the ending of this movie.

There were not enough WOW moments to make the entire movie WOWing when sharing an opinion via word of mouth. I will remember this movie as meh but that’s not an ew meh but a meh that just thinks it could have been better. Many will like it and the many will probably be mainly female. I do believe the MI2 was mainly loved by females due to the major “love” saturation that took over the movie.

That is why I did not like the movie that much. Too much love and not enough action…so like Toby Keith said there should have been a little less talk and a lot more action. Action movies are mindless and fun but just being mindless and leaving out the fun is not a good idea.

Example: The animal appendage that is mentioned in this movie...they never fully develop that and that's botched writing. It is an easy way out and it is one of the things that annoy me when it is so noticeable like the way they did it. They created something to chase but did not fully explain why it was worth the chase or why chase it or why it even matters whose hands it falls in?

I had gone with friends. One of them loves to talk. She talked and then asked what was just said. Luckily my other friend would answer her because I do not. I just ignore and of course that annoys her but guess what? I still ignore her. I am that charming. I did not get to go to Wal-Mart before so I just had the candy that I had in the bag. This could have added to my irritation but that’s okay. I lived. Suffice it to say the two friends I went with were both female so they liked it. That only furthers my point that women like it because of the “love” aspect. Not all but the majority do.

Love tainted the action in MI3. It tainted the climax. It is funny because normally love makes the climax. It tainted the ending and made it cheesy. So I state that if you enjoyed the MI you will not enjoy the MI3. However, if you liked the MI2 you will most likely like the MI3. But for sure MI3 is better than MI2 for those that are wondering that.

I am all for action movies by Tom Cruise, even though he is scientifically crazy, but not with him in love. That is a messed up movie let alone moments of uncomfortable silences that are suppose to show emotion and connection but fail miserably. What the movie does not fail on is having a villain. Philip Seymour Hoffman was a great villain that did not get allotted screen time he should have. Had he, he alone could have salvaged the movie.

MI3 means Mission Impossible: III, but there was no impossible mission it was more of a movie that has been done over and over and over again. The hero’s girl gets captured and the villain makes hollow threats that never seem to hit home to the ever defiant hero. There was nothing new that came from this movie and therefore I suggest they call the next movie Mission Probable or Mission Predictable and at least give the audience a heads up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home