Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Prairie Home Companion

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Musical/Performing Arts and Adaptation
Running Time: 105 min.
Release Date: June 9th, 2006 (wide)
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for risque humor.
Distributors: Picturehouse

Directed by: Robert Altman

JJ Rating: A+

A radio show that has been on for more than 50 years, it was a variety hour type of show. TV shows that have the need for sex and crap can stay on for years while shows that are a tad more meaningful get the axe right when there is nothing on any station that compares to its remarkable story telling. Apparently sex is better than telling a good story.

This movie shows how clean and simple can create good and memorable. It is that wonderful southern warmth that exuberated from this movie that makes it a classic already. There is no way this movie will not make it to the classic shelves, because it sure as hell will be on mine.

It has great characters. Not one single actor or actress was ick. They were remarkable. In radio you can hear greatness such as subtle jokes and fun with words, but the good thing about seeing, that hearing leaves out, is the great facial expressions. There is more show to be seen than heard on this radio show.

Speaking of scenes every single one was excellent. I really like the conversational style the movie showed. It was almost as if there were no lines and there was actually a camera filming real people. The music was amusing and touching and no one had to be Grammy winning to make it moving. The way the story gave enough to understand where people were coming from without making it a sit down lecture was astounding.

This movie is going on my shelf, as I have said. I watched it and I felt great afterwards. I was, however, surrounded by old people when I saw it. I have never been around so many old people – it was old folk’s day or something. But it goes to show that appreciation for goodness is not understand until you are breathing final breaths with used up lungs and beating hearts. Feel good movies are needed more than ever because of the over whelming negative atmosphere of today. They create hope and nostalgia at the same time.

My friend and I may have been the only young people in there. An old man sat next to my friend and as he sat down his butt rubbed up against her drink…but it was a bottle and I just laughed and was extremely happy it was not my drink. I just hope we are not the only young ones that enjoy a feel good story that shows people enjoying the simple form of giving happiness instead of replacing happiness by promoting selfishness.

A Prairie Home Companion is rejuvenating to the dying art form called movies. Go see it and hopefully it reminds you what good feels like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home