Saturday, August 05, 2006

Lady in the Water

Genres: Science Fiction/Fantasy and Thriller
Running Time:
1 hr. 50 min.
Release Date:
July 21st, 2006 (wide)
MPAA Rating:
PG-13 for some frightening sequences.
Distributors:
Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution

Directed by: M. Night Shyamalan

JJ Rating: A-

I saw this movie a while ago but did not have the motivation to write what I thought. I saw it with friends and it has meaning because of that in a way. Andy said something that made it more meaningful because the story deals with people being together for a reason so yeah that’s cool I suppose. Ha.

I love M. Night Shymalan’s movies because they are wrapped in his creativity. I love how he creates interesting characters that have so much depth in them without having them hog the screen to show it. There are details that are small but if they didn’t exist then the movie would not be awesome. In his movies there are some things that are just wowing because of the way they are presented.

Lady in the Water is simple telling of a very simple story and is not shockingly wowing like The Sixth Sense. For the most part his movies have not been that shocking like that movie and I tend to not understand why people expect that out of the movies he creates when that was the only one that was shocking in such a away.

I liked the way he presented the characters and the lines in the movie were linguistically fascinating to me. I like words and how they can convey thoughts as simply as this story and yet make it very interesting still. It also helps that the characters are unique enough to be entertaining while still carrying the story to the end with believability and for me this movie did that.

I have no doubt that people will not like this movie over all due to how simple it is and how much it’s not like they expected. It’s as if they should expect things when those same people didn’t like the Village for the same reason. I find that to be rather lame. If you don’t like the way he tells stories why bother seeing them and then complaining?

I liked it and I would see it again if I had the time but I’ll just wait for it to come out on video and then buy it and add it to my collection that I have. He is one of my favorite story tellers because I marvel at his creativity that is seemingly unmatched in this world of dried up creative minds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home